Friday, September 4, 2009

38 Wks Prenatal Visit

Thank goodness I had an appointment scheduled for today! At about 3:30am I woke up and had slight cramps. Normally this wouldn't be that unusual for a pregnant woman but I haven't had ANY cramping for the last 8.5 months. I tried taking a bath around 6am and it relaxed me enough to go back to sleep. By the time I woke back up, around 9am the cramps were much worse. More like BAD period cramps by that point. The cramps never went away in any position I put myself in and I was having light contractions on and off (never timed them). Going to my appointment definitely helped answer some of my questions. I met a different Midwife again. She seemed very nice and laid back but still not as personable as Kate. I gained another 2lbs which brings me up to 28lbs and Kendra's heart rate was 151 beats per minute. When I told her about all of the cramping she was very pleased. She thinks this is a sign of progression and that is what they want to see around this time. She checked my cervix and said that I may have effaced (thinned) a little bit and the baby is definitely lower but probably not all the way dropped. I have not dilated at all either so it could still be a couple of weeks. As she was checking my cervix she said she might be able to push through it but it might be painful. Out of nowhere, before I could answer, she went for it! It hurt pretty bad and I squirmed and told her "that's okay!" Hopefully Kendra will come on her own time naturally. It sure did freak me out though! If my crotch would have had teeth she may have lost an arm.